Quick Thoughts

BLOG ON TEMPORARY VACATION
Please peruse previous posts until blogger posts again.
Thank-you for reading.

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Day Care vs Child Minding - Looking for the best but coming up short.

Up front, let me say that this post is coming out of my frustration in finding a local day care for my 7 month old son.

I began searching for a potential day care while I was pregnant.  My husband and I had decided to go with a home day care for two main reasons; few if any businesses in our area will take children under 18 months old because the ratios of workers to infants, required by law, are too high and because we felt that home day cares often provide more care than simple child minding.  I consider child care the type of service that actually cares for a child in the absence of their primary care givers; not only do they care for the necessities but also engage the child in activities and ensure their day is enjoyable and fun.  What many, and in my opinion most, business (store front) day cares provide is actually child minding.  Child minding, in my opinion, is simply making sure that your child is safe and healthy in your absence; perhaps playing with them if you have time, but for the most part feeding them, changing their diapers, and making sure they don't hurt themselves or any other child in the businesses care.  In the town I live in there are a number of child minding services, a number of child care services, but in both cases few that are willing to take on children under 18 months of age.

I began my search with simple research.  While I found out a little about some local businesses through their websites, I more so talked to friends who are moms and asked where they sent their children and why.  One in particular I had inquired with because she has three young children, is a Good Teacher, and has a business day care (YMCA) connected to the school at which she works.  I had heard mixed reviews about the day care in the past, and had even sent my daughter there almost a decade ago.  I felt this friend would be able to provide an up to date, knowledgeable opinion about the care they provide.  I was shocked to say the least.  Even with the massive convenience that using the YMCA day care would provide her (one stop for child care and work) she choose to take her children to a day care facility about 15 minutes out of town!  When I asked her why she indicated that she had done a lot of research and found that the one she choose actually had a structured, engaging schedule and great caregiver to child ratios.  When I told her I thought she would take her kids to the YMCA day care that was at her school she simply gave me a look that said "Are you kidding?".  Given that this was similar feedback to what I had heard all along, and that my grown daughter even said she would not let me send her brother there, after her experience, I put that option to rest.

Any other business day cares I was able to find all noted in their literature that they did not accept children under 18 months of age.  So we began looking at home day cares instead.  My sister had found a great home day care where she lives in Ontario, run by an ECE (Early Childhood Education) graduate.  She was so pleased with the care that I thought I surely could find something at least similar here.  I heard word that there are a large number of home day cares in our town, but was having difficulty finding them.  It is somewhat understandable given that, once I child starts at a day care, they can sometimes be expected to be there for four years full time.  With the lack of infant care there also seems to be a high demand for home day cares.  However, many of these women (as they all seem to be) take few, if any infants as well.  I was told flat out by one that it is too much work and not worth their time when they could care for toddlers who are mobile and more interactive.  The Day Nurseries Act also prohibits someone from caring for too many children of a younger age, or more than five children (in addition to your own) without obtaining a licence.

Perhaps it is one or many of the above reasons that makes home day care providers so hard to get a hold of.  I have contacted many over the past months and at best received an initial email in recognition of me contacting them.  In that email they usually seem to be beginning some sort of correspondence, perhaps pose some questions or invite further inquiries from me.  Once I email back...nothing.  Not a phone call, not an email, not even a simple note to say they have no further positions or are not interested in my sons age group.  I expect that they will not get back to me within 24 hours; they are caring for children and need time to respond.  But weeks later with no answers is frustrating.  Having worked for decades in office administration, I find this very bad form for anyone trying to run a business.  Sadly, I had similar experiences when I contacted the store front day care businesses as well; often asked to leave a message, but never having it returned. The only logical answer to me is that there is such a copious demand for care in our community that these care providers can let customers (parents) slip away without another thought because another one will be there when they want one.

As a mother who is trying to not only return to work, but ensure that her son will be able to socialize in a safe engaging environment, I am beyond frustrated with this process.  I have had two care providers agree to take care of my son, only to back out in the end; one because she is now moving and the other because she changed her mind and wanted more money.  I have inquired with family, friends, friends of friends, checked newspapers and online sites daily and am still getting the same result.  Does anyone think this may be a small factor in the increasing unemployment rate?  I am one of the lucky ones who has an extremely understanding and flexible employer, but once my maternity leave is up, I need to return to work if I want to keep my job.  Regardless of that, even if I could place my son in what I would consider a child minding service, he will not be old enough, and I would have needed to be placed on the waiting list about a year ago. 

Conclusion?  Right now, I just don't know.  The clock is ticking. All I can do is keep contacting people and hope that someone responds.  When that happens I guess I will hold my breath till I know they are trustworthy and dependable.  It is my child after all.  Until then...

FBM

No comments:

Post a Comment