Quick Thoughts

BLOG ON TEMPORARY VACATION
Please peruse previous posts until blogger posts again.
Thank-you for reading.

Monday 26 March 2012

OCD or Just Organized

Over the course of the past eight months (also known as my maternity leave) I have been working on organizing our home.  Progressively I tore apart, repacked, labelled and restored everything in the storage room, downstairs "kitchen" (we use to have a tenant), spare room, family room, laundry room, kitchen, and our bedroom.  I also reorganized the book shelf in our living room; fiction by authors last name, non-fiction by a lose version of the Dewy Decimal system. Now that the weather is getting warmer I am itching to get outside and clean up the yard, garden, shed, add more support to the fence, and reorganize our deck area.  I also have plans for our basement that my husband would not let me start until the warmer weather hit, mainly due to his claim that construction work should wait until you can put the tore down walls outside until the weekend dump run.

All this organizing makes me wonder if I am actually, clinically, OCD or just love to have things organized.  When my daughter asks me where a particular piece of stationary supply can be found I love that I can give her simple directions to its home without a second thought.  I find it very satisfying when I open our linen cupboard to see nice neat piles of towels and sheets.  But when I open said closet to find face cloths in a lump, fitted sheets in a ball, and towels falling down on me I cringe, sigh or get down right irritated.  Why is it so difficult to put the bowls with the bowls and the plates on the shelf below?  The baby bottle lids, nipple, and rings take up much less room when they are assembled before putting them in the drawer, don't they?  And if you put the bowls on the front of the dish rack, the plates at he back, the cutting boards on the side, and all the silverware with handles down, doesn't the drying rack hold more?

It probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't actually feel irritated that no one else sees the logic in how I organize things and does their best to follow my lead.  Fact is, they probably are doing their best, I'm just too crazy about how I like things that I need to fix it and wonder why they didn't do it the way I think it should be done in the first place.

I think the next post I will share a few of my organizational ideas.  Hopefully, if anyone happens to read the posts, you can weight in on whether I am actually Obsessive Compulsive or if I just have a knack for efficiency and organization.

FBM

No comments:

Post a Comment