Quick Thoughts

BLOG ON TEMPORARY VACATION
Please peruse previous posts until blogger posts again.
Thank-you for reading.

Thursday 15 March 2012

The Intrusion of Intuition

A lot of people have heard of Myers Briggs.  I have found that those who like horoscopes tend to think Myers Briggs is a crock;  I on the other hand think this form of personality typing a little more reliable than the stars.  Don't get me wrong.  I do not by any means think that Myers Briggs is 100% accurate, but find it a better guide then astrology, which I appreciate more for its entertainment value. 

I have been tested three times at different periods in my life and always come up the same; ESTJ (extroverted, sensing, thinking, judging).  I have no intention of explaining the Myers Briggs testing process or the types here as my post is intended for another topic.  If you want to look it up please see this link as a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

I believe that I am only slightly a Sensing person, and still have some Intuitive tendencies.  These tendencies I would rather do without quite honestly, as they only cause me great stress, probably due to my strong Thinking and Judging characteristics.  I seem to have some level of intuition when I observe the situations friends and family are working through.  While I greatly enjoy facts and support my personal decisions strongly on such information, I can look at the current path of others and, with rather good accuracy, predict where their current actions will take them.

Sounds great doesn't it?  Being able to watch someone and say to yourself "if they continue working so hard they will most certainly reach their goals.  Good for them!"  Not so.  Unfortunately, I tend to pick up on the more detrimental actions of others, and thus foresee the not so happy circumstances they are heading towards.  In most cases, it is not my place to step in and advise them what to do.  In some cases I may voice my opinion but can see it being discounted as preposterous before I even finish my sentence.  In the rare case, my advice may be heeded or the person stops to think and they appear to side step some difficulty.

I am not saying that my intuition is always right, though often when it is strong it is accurate.  Or that my opinion on how to change the potentially inevitable is correct.  I am simply saying that it is excruciating to watch family or friends in such situations and not be able to help them in one way or another.  I explained this to my husband with the following analogy:  I am up on the top of a high building looking down at the street.  A person is preparing to cross the street and in doing so will be hit by a bus.  The bus may injure or kill them, but no matter how I yell (if I choose) from my vantage point they can not hear me.  Sometimes they pause for just a moment and avoid the bus.  Sometimes they don't.  In the worst cases they are dragging someone across the street with them who too, by their own fault or not, will also be hit by the bus.

I hate watching these situations unfold.  I want to be as supportive as possible in the hopes that they will wait for the bus to pass. If they do fall under the bus, maybe I can at least help them heal afterwords. But my logical side says that there must be some other way to cross the street if they must.  I wish I could help them find it. I wish I didn't have this intuition.  I wish there were no buses.

FBM  

No comments:

Post a Comment