Quick Thoughts

BLOG ON TEMPORARY VACATION
Please peruse previous posts until blogger posts again.
Thank-you for reading.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

A little more baby time.

Upon reviewing my post from yesterday I noticed that it was quiet scattered as I tried to fit in information for this vast topic into one post.  It also didn't help that I was trying to finish the post over several days and losing my train of thought each time I set it aside.  Moving forward I will choose some subtopics in the field of Baby Talk and discuss each in separate, organized  posts.  I apologize for the lapse in my attempt to write in a somewhat comprehensive manner. (Blogging is harder than I thought!)

As I think this will be a short one this evening I will simply add a bit to my comments and tips for saving money.  We touched on the many avenues for picking up the essential baby items that you might need for bringing baby home. With proactive thinking, such as the bulk buying mentioned earlier, you can save a lot of money as well.  In preparation for my sons transition to solid foods, recommended to occur between 4 and 6 months, I contemplated purchasing a Baby Bullet.  Luckily a friend of ours gave us one as a shower gift and we have used it quiet frequently since.  I highly suggest putting this reasonably priced item on your shower registry if possible.  The standard unit comes with two blades, one for milling and one for chop/blend/puree, the basic blender components as well as serving sized containers that can be dated.  The benefit of the milling blade is that you can take rice or oatmeal and mill it to a powder, thus allowing you to make your own first cereals that are lump free.  The other blade is for the regular blending of fruits, vegetables, meat etc as baby starts each new food.  I use the portion size containers to standardize the amount of food I make for each meal, which lets me know how well my son is eating from one meal to the next.  They are also very useful for travel.  I fill one half way with dry rice cereal and can take it along to a restaurant for example and mix it at the table with his formula for a ready to serve lunch on the go.

I am not on some kick back list for this product, but am very grateful for having it.  My husband and I had decided early on that we would make our own baby food.  The math alone was enough to persuade us with little effort.  A small baby jar (1 or 2 servings at best) will cost ~ .60 cents on sale.  For arguments sake lets use a sweet potato for comparison, a common first food.  One sweet potato can cost about .80 cents, but you will get 5 to 6 servings from it easily.  That means to buy the same amount in the prepared form would cost about $1.80 on sale, which is more than twice the cost.  I could give you many more examples but you can check it out yourself. You don't need to buy a Baby Bullet, but making your own baby food is very very inexpensive.  In a Sunday afternoon I can make a 5 lb bag of apples into baby food; servings that last about a month.  I simply freeze them in an ice cube tray and then pop them out into a freezer bag, labelled with item and date, and they are already in serving portions.  Right now I have a freezer bag each of carrots, banana, apple, and butternut squash in the freezer that I take out and thaw as needed.  They all mix well with oatmeal and rice cereal or as a side to some pureed chicken and potato.

Time for some shut eye while I debate what the next topic will be.  Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to have me weigh in on, otherwise I will just continue to blab about whatever I like. : D 

Talk at you later!

FBM



No comments:

Post a Comment